Beliefs about hope, a future, good things and safety

• November 14, 2021 at 6:19 am #9303
    Eljesfi
    Participant

Thank you for the course you have made Jay. I’ve really learnt an awful lot from you and it has changed my life so profoundly in only a few weeks. I don’t use the word lightly, it is miraculous.

My comment here is about the beliefs we may hold as survivors. I am wondering if it is possible that we can sometimes hold beliefs about hope, a good future, good things happening to us that try to inhibit awareness of such things being possible. For example, I got an illness recently and although I did not allow myself to worry, I was aware that I couldn’t feel any hope either. I just kept feeling that it was best to prepare for the worst outcome, this felt safest. I started to wonder if I was actually trying to lose or avoid awareness of any possibility there could be a good outcome. I’ve found in previous circumstances that if there is a good outcome I feel somewhat numb too, rather than joyful, happy or really relieved. I feel something is actually stopping me from thinking anything hopeful at all. I find the same thing with safety, and hoping for any kind of safety or peace. It feels too dangerous almost to let such feelings or thoughts in, so much so I have not even been aware of this until today.

I also sometimes feel almost unreal or deceiving myself if I have any positive emotions or thoughts.

I wonder if anyone else feels like this?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.